St Gwynogs sits in an enviable position looking out over the Castlemartin peninsula. We are a growing church and our services range from traditional liturgy with the organ to informal family services with songs on the guitar. We meet on the second Sunday of the month at 4pm and all are welcome.
The church is open daily during daylight hours throughout the year.
The earliest known reference to St Twynnells Church is in 1259 when the Abbey of Seyes had a Rector at St Twynnells which was at that time part of the possessions of St Nicholas' Priory, Pembroke. There was also at that time a daughter Church of St Twynnells at the Chapel of "Kylkermeran", which was situated at Crickmarren Farm in a field which is still known at Church Field.
In 1260 the Prior, with the approval of the Abbot of Seyes, gave the Church and its lands to Richard Carew, Bishop of St Davids. The tithe lands of the Church stretched from the coast northwards almost as far as Monkton and included Orielton estate.
The church building, which would seem to be largely 13th century, consists of nave, chancel and sanctuary with a fine square tower at the west end, containing 3 bells. The east window, dedicated to Stoker Williams and Pte T Phillips, the two men from the Parish who died in the 1914-18 War, depicts the Crucifixion of Christ, with Mary and John at the foot of the Cross while a small window in the South chancel in memory of Edward Roberts, Church Warden from 1929 to 1965 depicts St Francis of Assisi. A Stone tablet in the North nave is dedicated to Katherine Owen of Orielton who died in 1698.
Near the porch there is a stone preaching cross.
It would appear that up to the 18th century the village of St Twynnells lay in the valley between the church and Sampson Cross (to the South East). There is reason to believe that the farm now known as Valast Hill was originally a manor overlooking a cluster of cottages, the ruins of which can still be seen. Nearby was Lyserry Forge Farm, where the disused forge still exists. Beside the forge is an old stone dovecote. The modern village however has grown up at the top of the hill just to the north west of the Church.
The view from St Twynnells is quite spectacular, situated as it is at the crest of the southernmost ridge in Pembrokeshire. To the north one sees stretches of fields and woods, with snatches of Milford Haven and in the far distance the Preselli Hills. To the east is the lovely expanse of Stackpole estate, Trevallen Downs and Bosherston village with just a glimpse of Broadhaven Bay and Stackpole Quay. Further away one can see Manorbier, Caldey Island and the Gower coast. To the west one can see the valley beside Castlemartin, sloping away to Freshwater West, backed up by the panorama of Dale Roads and St Anne's Head with, occasionally a glimpse of Skokholm Island. To the south is the expanse of the RAC Firing Range and the vista of coastline stretching from Linney Head to St Govan's Head with Lundy Island and the North coast of Devon in the distance.
Copyright © 2018 Angle Peninsula Churches - All Rights Reserved.